Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas

As I sit here in my basement office listening to the wind howl off the lake and drive the snow faster than a Canadian on Highway 61, I'm making notes for the Christmas Eve service. Whether or not we will actually have the Christmas Eve service remains to be seen. The parking lot will have to be plowed. People will have to be able to see to drive, and have some measure of confidence they can get home if they come in to town. It may be a greater service to them to simply cancel the service tonight and urge them to remain safely in their warm homes surrounded by their loving families.

I wonder if God ever thought about canceling Christmas due to unfavorable conditions. There was no room in the inn. It's a long way on foot from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Animal habitat smells. And that trip from heaven down the birth canal, all that blood and commotion! Who's up for that? And of course, the ultimate destination, the great cause for Christmas was a crucifixion. They would all show up to see him die, but so few would be there to see him born.

In my mind I may wonder, but in my heart I know. I know God never once thought of canceling Christmas. The people he loves so much needed a Savior. We, you and me, were trapped in our sins and subject to death and without Christmas, we would be forever lost to him. So he made the journey of a life and lifetime. He was wrapped in swaddling clothes so that we would not remain bound in our sin. He was laid in a manger so the wrath of God would not be laid on us. He was born into poverty so that we would appreciate the riches of his grace. He became nothing to give us everything.

I don't know yet if we'll cancel the Christmas Eve service here in Grand Marais or not. I don't know whether you'll be able to get to a service where you are, but I offer you this. The Child who came to die lives and he still enters gladly into the worst personal conditions of heart and soul to bring peace, joy, and new life forever. Blizzard or no blizzard, if you want God in your life, it can always be Christmas if you will believe in him.

Ask him into your life, into your situation today, whatever that situation is, and discover what Christmas is truly all about.

1 comment: