Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The New Bible

I meet every Wednesday with one of the local Lutheran pastors. We talk theology, Bible, ministry, you know . . . pastoral stuff. Today he mentioned the new Bible I have on my desk. Several months ago I opened the ESV I've been using and Revelation fell out. Took the entire Concordance with it. The glue that held that section to the binding simply surrendered its mission. Now, whenever I take my Bible into the pulpit I have to leave out some of the God's word, and you know what the Bible says about those who add to or take away from what is written!

So, I've been looking for a new Bible. I want the same version, but since I make notes in my Bible, I like the wide margin format. I stopped by the Crossway Publisher's table at a recent conference I attended and asked the representative if there was another Crossway wide margin Bible that was sewn and not glued. He asked why I had asked that particular question and I told him about my prodigal pages. He then asked me how long I'd had the Bible and I told him. Then he said, "It doesn't matter. It should have held up much, much longer. You don't need to buy another Bible. We need to replace it. Let me have your contact information and I'll find a new Bible for you."

Well, you can imagine how pleased that made me. I handed over one of my cards and was equally pleased when a new, wide margin, genuine leather ESV Bible arrived at my office. It's a beautiful Bible with 1.25" margins to write in. There is just one tiny problem. Crossway has apparently changed the format between what they called a wide margin Bible when I first bought mine and what they are offering as a wide margin format today. The new font is half the size of the old format. Now, not only do I get to take the full counsel of God into the pulpit, I literally have to take my glasses with me and put them on in public to read the print.

<> I got exactly what I asked for, but not what I wanted.

Anybody else have an experience where someone provided exactly what you asked for, but it wasn't what you wanted? I think the idea will make a great sermon, but I'm interested in what that phrase suggests to you. Leave me a comment and let me know: How have you had this experience, "I got exactly what I asked for, but not what I wanted"?

2 comments:

  1. Ok Dale, I finally have one to share: I asked God to heal my second daughter. And He did. He healed her by taking her to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if I may be so bold to add, you asked for joy in her, and God gave you confidence in Him, which is turning into your greater joy, to the praise of His glory.

    ReplyDelete